Corona in Turkey: Fear of travel warning – Erdogan’s government reveals dramatic case numbers far too late

0
8


For months, Turkey published embellished numbers of new corona infections – probably to avoid international travel warnings. Indeed, the situation is appalling.

For a long time there had been fears that the numbers for new corona infections in Turkey might not be correct. Now the true extent is known: According to media reports at a press conference on Wednesday evening and the day after, Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said that on Thursday alone (November 26th) more than 29,000 new infections were reported. The previous day there were 28,351. The beds in some hospitals are slowly becoming scarce, so the appalling admission. In doing so, the government not only deceived international tourists *, but also locals.

Holiday regions in Turkey escaped a travel warning for a long time.

© dpa / Can Merey

Huge difference: Corona numbers in Turkey are far higher than expected

How big the difference is can be seen from the number of new infections last reported to the European Center for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC): Here we are talking about just under 7,000 cases per day. But in truth they are four times as high. In Germany there are currently around 22,000.

On July 29, Koca said he began to adjust the corona infection numbers. From then on, he no longer reported all those who tested positive, but only those who actually developed symptoms and needed treatment. In this way, around 350,000 corona infections were concealed by the end of October alone, as Der Spiegel wrote, citing estimates by the Turkish Medical Association. The Minister of Health named “national interests” as the reason for his action.

At the latest as Koca a few weeks ago in an interview with the newspaper Habertürk told of around 100,000 PCR tests a day, of which 10 percent would be positive, it was clear that something was wrong with the numbers. Ultimately, at least 10,000 new infections would have had to be reported – but officially there were only 1,400 at the time. Shortly afterwards, the World Health Organization (WHO) also asked the government to provide the correct infection numbers. Nevertheless, it still took four weeks to comply with this request.

Interesting too: Special entry rules: Popular holiday destination is now screening tourists based on their salary.

Turkey escapes international travel warnings with embellished corona numbers

Last Friday (November 20), the Turkish government announced a partial lockdown and thus indirectly betrayed the precarious situation. Since then, restaurants and cafes have been closed. There is a general curfew on weekends from Friday at 8 p.m. to Sunday at 10 a.m.

Prominent journalist Ismail Yilmaz complained loudly Daily mirror at the television station Habertürk to: “We have been betrayed.” In his opinion, the government lied to the citizens in order to save the holiday season and to spare the economy from the consequences of curfews. In the meantime, however, numerous travel warnings have been extended to the holiday regions of Turkey. According to the Federal Foreign Office, they have been risk areas since the end of October. * Merkur.de is part of the nationwide Ippen-Digital editors network.

also read: Popular holiday destination will probably not allow entry of European tourists for another year.

You should urgently avoid these mistakes in travel cancellation insurance

You should urgently avoid these mistakes in travel cancellation insurance

Rubriklistenbild: © dpa / Can Merey



Source link
https://www.merkur.de/reise/coronavirus-tuerkei-reisewarnung-urlaub-tourismus-erdogan-fallzahlen-infektionen-zr-90114304.html

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here