Prosecutor investigations have been initiated against the doctor of Argentina’s late football icon Diego Maradona.
The competent authority of San Isidro near the capital Buenos Aires confirmed on Sunday media reports about investigations against Leopoldo Luque on suspicion of negligent homicide. The medic dismissed all allegations shortly afterwards.
In the course of the proceedings, searches took place in Luque’s private house and treatment rooms on Sunday. The investigators were looking for evidence of misconduct by the doctor in the treatment of the 60-year-old.
The three daughters of Maradona are said to have asked the authorities in previous statements to review the medication that their father had been prescribed in the past few months in connection with a brain operation.
Luque had operated on Maradona earlier this month in a clinic in La Plata for a blood clot in the brain. Eight days after the operation, the 1986 world champion was released. Two weeks later, Maradona died of a heart attack last Wednesday, according to official information.
Maradona doctor rejects allegations: “There was no doctor error”
The doctor denied technical errors in the treatment of his prominent patient. “I’m not responsible for what happened. I always did the best for him up to the last moment,” said Luque a few hours after the raids at a press conference in front of his house that was called at short notice: “There was no medical error. In one patient with its symptoms, a heart attack is the most normal cause of death in the world. ”