The UN speaks of the “most brutal incident” this year in Nigeria: at least 110 people were killed in an attack on the village of Koshobe in the state of Borno – they were employed in the harvesting of rice fields.
According to the UN, at least 110 people were killed in a “brutal” attack in northeastern Nigeria. Armed men on motorcycles attacked men and women in Koshobe and surrounding areas in Borno state who were doing harvesting work on Saturday, said Edward Kallon, the UN humanitarian coordinator in Nigeria.
“The incident is the most brutal direct attack on innocent civilians this year,” said Kallon. The Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari also condemned the attack near the regional capital Maiduguri. “The whole country has been wounded from these pointless killings,” he said.
Who is behind the atrocity is still unclear. However, for years there have been attacks by the terrorist groups Boko Haram or the splinter group ISWAP in Borno.
Militia leader: “Without a doubt” Boko Haram
According to the militia leader Babakura Kolo, whose militia is fighting against Boko Haram, the victims were attacked and handcuffed while they were working in rice fields in the village of Koshobe. Then their throats were cut. The attack was “undoubtedly” carried out by fighters from the Boko Haram militia, “said Kolo.
The act occurred on the day of the state’s first regional election since 2009; at that time there had been uprisings by the Islamist group Boko Haram. Because of the continuing violence by Islamist militias, the election was repeatedly postponed.
Recently, attacks against farmers increased
Boko Haram and ISWAP recently increasingly attacked farmers, woodworkers, cattle farmers and fishermen because they allegedly worked as informants for the army. In 2016, ISWAP split from the Boko Haram militia, which had been violently fighting for an Islamist state in northeastern Nigeria since 2009.
The attacks by the militias and their fighting with the army killed around 36,000 people in recent years, and two million more fled.