Car captured passers-by in the pedestrian zone: four dead

0
8


“There are several dead and a number of seriously and seriously injured people,” said the spokesman for the Trier Presidium, Karl-Peter Jochem, on Tuesday. The driver – a 51-year-old German from the Trier-Saarburg district – was arrested and the vehicle was seized. According to the police, he apparently hit people “indiscriminately” with an SUV in the pedestrian zone.

“What happened in Trier is shocking,” said government spokesman Steffen Seibert on Twitter on Tuesday. “The thoughts are with the relatives of the victims, with the numerous injured and with everyone who is on duty at this moment to care for the victims.”

The reasons why the driver drove into the pedestrian zone initially remained unclear. Trier’s Lord Mayor Wolfram Leibe (SPD) spoke in an interview with the SWR of a “gunman in the city center”. Eyewitnesses reported that people were thrown through the air.

A large number of police and rescue workers were in action. The ADAC sent rescue helicopters. Large parts of the city center were cordoned off. After the arrest there is no longer any danger to the population, the police said. Previously, the population had been called to avoid the city center.

Driver was heavily drunk

The man who is said to have run into and over numerous people in Trier was actually drunk. He had previously “consumed not inconsiderable amounts of alcohol,” said the senior public prosecutor Peter Fritzen at a press conference in Trier on Tuesday. The 51-year-old had a breath alcohol level of 1.4 per mille. He is being investigated in four cases on the basis of the urgent suspicion of murder.

In addition, he was accused of dangerous bodily harm in numerous other cases, said Fritzen. The 51-year-old could be mentally ill. There are indications of a psychiatric disease, said the senior public prosecutor. A doctor had assessed the man, and a psychiatric report would probably be commissioned. There are no indications of a “somewhat terrorist”, political or religious motive.

The driver has spent the past few days in a car, according to the police. He did not spend the time in an apartment, said Franz-Dieter Ankner, Vice President of the Trier Police Department, on Tuesday. The suspect is a German citizen born in Trier in 1969. Rescue forces overpowered and arrested him.

Four people were killed and 15 people injured in the fatal incident. Four people suffered serious injuries, five serious injuries and six people were slightly injured, said the interior minister of Rhineland-Palatinate, Roger Lewentz (SPD), in Trier on Tuesday. Numerous people in the city center were also traumatized.

The police asked residents to avoid the area. She also called for no pictures and videos to be shared on social media and announced an upload platform.

turned_in

info With a click on the icon you add the keyword to your topics.

turned_in

info
By clicking on the icon you open your “my topics” page. They have of 15 keywords saved and would have to remove keywords.

turned_in

info With a click on the icon you remove the keyword from your topics.

turned_in

Add the topic to your topics.



Source link
https://www.nachrichten.at/panorama/weltspiegel/auto-fuhr-in-trier-in-menschenmenge-zwei-tote;art17,3328037

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here