Cyberpunk 2077: This is how much CD Projekt RED paid for the development


Cyberpunk 2077 took eight years to develop. That’s how much CD Projekt RED spent on the game.

  • Cyberpunk 2077 was developed for over 8 years and finally came out on December 10th, 2020.
  • Due to the long development time CD Project RED put a total of 135 million into development.
  • But the effort has apparently paid off, because thanks to 8 million pre-orders CDPR already around 500 million Cyberpunk 2077 earned.

Warsaw, Poland – Work on Cyberpunk 2077 hat CD Project RED a whole eight long years. Accordingly have themselves Fans Looking forward to finally exploring and roaming Night City as a mercenary in for many years. The expectations of Cyberpunk 2077 were of course extremely high, after all CD Project RED previously developed the well-known The Witcher series, which is known to be a huge success. Such a long development time is also extremely high costs connected that for CDPR but apparently they are just peanuts.

Release (date of first publication) December 10, 2020
Publisher Bandai Namco (Europa), Warner Bros (USA), Spike Chunsoft (Japan)
platform PS4, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows, Google Stadia, PS5, Xbox Series X
developer CD Project RED
Genre Action RPG, open world

Cyberpunk 2077: New record with eight million pre-orders

Games like Cyberpunk 2077, are not just so cheap to buy. Of course, the development also costs a lot of money, after all, developers, producers and other participants also want to be paid. In addition, the developer studios have to provide important programs, rent offices and handle other expenses. A considerable amount of expenditure quickly arises. In case of Cyberpunk 2077 from the Polish development studio CD Project RED are at least 135 million by the end of September costs emerged, excluding marketing measures.

If you add marketing costs to expenses, you can assume that CD Project RED Have invested at least 270 million in their dystopian game. A whole chunk of money that is certainly not easy for everyone. For CD Project RED are the Development costs but apparently only peanuts, thanks to over 8 million pre-orders CDPR can already take approx. 500 million again. By comparison, GTA V, one of the best-selling games in the world, grossed over $ 800 million with pre-orders and sales on the release day. In contrast to Cyberpunk 2077 GTA V was able to register “only” 7 million pre-sales.

Cyberpunk 2077: Income comes with a bitter aftertaste

Thanks to the enormous number of pre-orders, CD Project RED would have to have the Development costs So have already got back in and have a big plus on the account. The exact numbers are still pending, of course CDPR However, if a very transparent financial policy continues and the key figures are published in logs for everyone, we will certainly soon get the confirmed figures and costs Experienced. However, it is already known that 74% of all pre-orders: inside a digital version of Cyberpunk 2077 and 59% of all pre-orderers play the game on the PC. Thus, the remaining 41% are distributed over the consoles and only 26% have treated themselves to a physical copy of the game.

Cyberpunk 2077: 135 million development costs – only peanuts for CD Projekt RED?

© CD Project RED / pixabay (Montage)

If the sales figures are confirmed, you can CD Project RED of course congratulate. Unfortunately, the news also comes with a downer, as CD Projekt RED received massive accusations of crunch and, due to its location in Poland, probably also pays significantly lower wages to its employees. In addition, CDPR is currently facing accusations of transphobia and a call to boycott Cyberpunk 2077.

Title list image: © CD Projekt RED / pixabay (Montage)

Source link


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here