Jump to content
- YB are defeated by AS Roma in the Europa League away 1: 3.
- Because Cluj is drawing at CSKA Sofia, next Thursday there will be a showdown between the Romanians and YB in Group A.
- The Bernese need a counter there to qualify for the sixteenth finals.
- You can find out what happened in groups G to L here. The highlights of groups B to F are discussed here.
Just 40 seconds had passed when Riccardo Calafiori fired a first warning shot on the box of YB goalie David von Ballmoos. The ball hissed just past the far post. About an hour later, the 18-year-old had adjusted his visor more precisely. After a Roma free kick, Calafiori volleyed the ball magistral into the crossbar from over 20 meters.
It was the deserved 2-1 of the home team that dominated the game in the first half and could have made the decision with better efficiency at the break. In addition to Calafiori at the very beginning, Bruno Peres (8th), Carles Perez (14th) and Pedro (16/27) also missed top-class scoring opportunities. YB survived the tricky phase, sometimes thanks to a brilliant Von Ballmoos, sometimes thanks to luck. There was very little going forward – until the 34th minute.
- Jordan Lefort served Jean-Pierre Nsame with a wide ball. The YB striker first left Bryan Cristante and then duped Roma goalkeeper Pau Lopez for the unexpected lead from Bern.
The “Giallorossi” did not let the blow in their necks disturb them. Before the break, Borja Mayoral used a Pedro rebound with his head to equalize. The final point was set by the substitute star striker of the Roma, Edin Dzeko, in the 81st minute with the 3-1.
YB is missing one point for the knockout phase
The negative highlight from Bern’s perspective was Aly Camara’s dismissal shortly before the end. The defender let himself be carried away to an assault against Henrich Mchitarjan and will be absent from coach Gerardo Seoane in the last game of the group stage.
This will be a showdown between YB and Cluj. One point is enough for the Swiss champions to reach the sixteenth finals of the Europa League on December 10th in their home town of Wankdorf.
SRF Zwei, sportlive, December 3, 2020, 8:40 p.m.; sag
Most read articles