Consumption warning: Recall for chips and peanuts
Lorenz Bahlsen Snack-World GmbH & Co KG Germany has started a recall for chips and peanuts. According to the company, the snack items may contain an allergen that is not declared on the packaging.
Lorenz Bahlsen Snack-World GmbH & Co KG Germany is recalling products with wasabi seasoning, as they may contain traces of mustard that are not declared on the packaging. The snacks can cause allergic reactions in people with a mustard energy.
Wasabi seasoning contains the allergen mustard
According to a press release published by the Federal Office for Consumer Protection and Food Safety (BVL) on its portal “foodwarnung.de”, the following products are affected by the recall:
- Crunchips WOW Cream & Mild Wasabi, in 110 gram packs, with best before dates (BBDs): 11/30/2020 – 5/3/2021
- Wasabi peanuts, in 100 gram packs, with best before dates (BBDs): November 3rd, 2020 – June 1st, 2021
- Wasabi peanuts, in 800 gram packs, with best-before dates (best before dates): 11/05/2020 – 04/26/2021
“The wasabi seasoning contained in the products unintentionally contains the allergen mustard,” writes the company.
Consumers who are allergic to mustard and who have bought products affected by the recall can return the packs for a replacement at the retail outlet where the goods were purchased.
If they are returned in retail, customers will immediately receive a replacement, even without a receipt. It is at the merchant’s discretion whether this is done with a replacement product or a purchase price refund. The best before date (best before date) is printed on the back of the packaging.
Some people shouldn’t consume products
As the Medical University (MedUni) Vienna explains on its website, mustard energy is probably the most common allergy to spices.
Symptoms that can arise with a food allergy mostly affect the skin and mucous membranes (for example itching), the gastrointestinal tract (for example vomiting and diarrhea), the upper and lower respiratory tract (for example cough) and the heart Circulatory system (e.g. racing heart or dizziness).
Although the likelihood of getting a mustard energy is very low, according to experts, the reactions are often very strong. “The symptoms can be very pronounced and lead to anaphylactic reactions,” writes the German Allergy and Asthma Association (DAAB) on its website.
Lorenz Snack-World asks all mustard allergy sufferers not to consume the affected products. According to the company, non-allergy sufferers can continue to consume the products without restrictions. (ad)
Author and source information
This text complies with the requirements of specialist medical literature, medical guidelines and current studies and has been checked by medical professionals.
- Federal Office of Consumer Protection and Food Safety: Food warning details, (accessed: December 27, 2020), food warning.de
- Lebensmittelwarnung.de: Press release Lorenz Snack-World: Consumption warning for mustard allergy sufferers: Lorenz Snack-World is recalling products with wasabi seasoning in Germany as a precaution. The products may contain mustard., (Accessed: December 27, 2020), Lebensmittelwarnung.de
- Medical University of Vienna: The 14 most important allergens, (accessed: December 27, 2020), Medical University of Vienna
- German Allergy and Asthma Association (DAAB): Further allergy triggers from A to Z, (accessed: December 27, 2020), German Allergy and Asthma Association (DAAB)
This article is for general guidance only and should not be used for self-diagnosis or self-treatment. He can not substitute a visit at the doctor.