The 38-year-old from Salzburg complained of chest pain on Saturday after the World Cup team competition in the Nordic metropolis after leaking. After the initial diagnosis on site by paramedics and the ÖSV team doctor, a partial blockage of a coronary artery was found again in the hospital. “Bernhard is so far in good shape and has to stay in the hospital for a few more days according to his recovery,” says ÖSV team doctor Ines Berger-Uckermann.
The Bad Hofgasteiner had already received the same diagnosis in mid-March 2020. Eight months later, after extensive checks, he received medical clearance for high-performance sport in early November.
After starting training with the Austrian team, Gruber started the World Cup season in the Lahti team sprint on Saturday. Together with Mario Seidl, he surprisingly came first in jumping, and ultimately it was an excellent sixth place for the duo.
The sporting director Mario Stecher is primarily happy that nothing more happened and that the rescue chain worked well from a distance. “I’m glad that we had a doctor with us, that Bernie was immediately taken to the hospital and that the first important steps were taken,” said Stecher to the APA.
He understands questions about why Gruber even started again in the World Cup, says Stecher. “Out-of-tour doctors from the ÖSV have given him clearance for top-class sport. We then also obey that, also because Bernie felt comfortable and absolutely wanted to.”
The athlete must decide and announce the end of his career himself,” emphasizes Stecher. “Sure: If you add one and one together, then it will go in this direction. But your health must now be in the foreground.”
Text which: © LAOLA1.at/APA
Beat Feuz takes downhill double in Kitz – Mayer again on the podium
to the top » COMMENTS..