The update guarantee initially applies to the Galaxy S model series from the Samsung Galaxy S10 model or newer, for the Galaxy Note series from the Galaxy Note 10 model or newer and for all models in the Galaxy Z and Galaxy Fold series. Samsung has now announced that this update guarantee also applies to cheaper smartphones from the Galaxy A and M series as well as the Xcover series and the Galaxy Tab series.
This Galaxy smartphones and tablets get four years Updates
The manufacturer leaves it open whether the updates are published monthly or at a different rhythm. Specifically, Samsung lists the following models that will receive security updates for four years:
- Galaxy Foldable: Fold, Fold 5G, Z Fold 2, Z Fold 2 5G, Z Flip, Z Flip 5G
- Galaxy S: S10, S10+, S10e, S10 5G, S10 Lite, S20, S20 5G, S20+, S20+ 5G, S20 Ultra, S20 Ultra 5G, S20 FE, S20 FE 5G, S21 5G, S21+ 5G, S21 Ultra 5G
- Galaxy Note: Note 10, Note 10 5G, Note 10+, Note 10+ 5G, Note 10 Lite, Note 20, Note 20 5G, Note 20 Ultra, Note 20 Ultra 5G
- Galaxy A: A10, A10e, A10s, A20, A20s, A30, A30s, A40, A50, A50s, A60, A70, A70s, A80, A90 5G, A11, A21, A21s, A31, A41, A51, A51 5G, A71, A71 5G, A02s, A12, A32 5G, A42 5G
- Galaxy M: M10s, M20, M30, M30s, M40, M11, M12, M21, M31, M31s, M51
- Galaxy XCover: XCover4s, XCover Field Pro, XCover Pro
- Galaxy Tab: Tab Active Pro, Tab Active 3, Tab A 8 (2019), Tab A mit S Pen, Tab A 8.4 (2020), Tab A7, Tab S5e, Tab S6, Tab S6 5G, Tab S6 Lite, Tab S7, Tab S7+
With this behavior, Samsung is emulating the iPhone manufacturer Apple, which has been offering at least four operating system updates for their mobile devices with the in-house iOS since the iPhone 4s from 2011. From the US manufacturer, iPhones and iPads receive free software updates for almost five years after their release. However, Apple distinguishes between which devices really get new features and which only receive security updates.
This is the reason for rare updates on many smartphones & Co.
The problem with updates to end devices with an ARM chipset is how the SoC works. Manufacturers have to adapt the Board Support Package so that the new software can actually be used by the end device. Many device manufacturers save the development costs for a new OS version and prefer to sell a new device with a different chipset and new software. Apple installs in-house developed ARM SoCs in the iPhones and iPads, Samsung only uses the in-house Exynos chipsets in the upper-class models. In the case of devices with an AMD or Intel processor, however, the operating system does not have to be adapted to the CPU. However, ARM chipsets can work very efficiently with the big little principle, so that longer battery runtimes are possible than with the x86 / x64 CPUs from AMD and Intel.
The federal government wants to introduce an update obligation for “things with digital elements” for device manufacturers, at least that was what Justice Minister Christine Lambrecht (SPD) had brought up in December 2020. However, it is still open whether there will really be such an update obligation. In any case, Apple and Samsung probably don’t have to change anything with their initiatives, because they have been offering software updates for their smartphones for years.
Also worth reading: Android 11: This is how Google wants to accelerate software updates
Collection of Samsung’s update promise:
- As Samsung has announced, all Galaxy smartphones that have been launched on the market since 2019 will receive security updates for four years.
The update rule applies to upper-class models from the Galaxy S10 or newer, as well as to inexpensive phones from the Galaxy A and Galaxy M series.
- Samsung, for example, is drawing level with Apple, which provides the devices with operating system updates for almost five years after the release of new iPhones and iPads, but only unlocks certain new features for selected, newer iPhones.
Sources: Samsung, Statista, Federal Ministry of Justice, Wikipedia
Mainly three-dimensional: the basics of computer graphics
The article comes from PC Games Hardware 05/2018.
The re are no costs for the user.