Updated February 20, 2021, 4:56 p.m.
- Police have arrested a suspect after attacking food companies with explosive mail.
- A 66-year-old man was in custody, said the Heidelberg public prosecutor.
After three attacks with explosive mail on food companies in Baden-Württemberg and Bavaria, a 66-year-old suspect is in custody. The Heidelberg public prosecutor and the Baden-Württemberg State Criminal Police Office announced this on Saturday.
Arrested pensioner does not resist
The man from the Ulm area, who was previously unknown to the police, did not offer any resistance, it said.
Initially, the suspect did not provide any information about the allegations made against him. In particular, the investigations into the shipping route and the type of explosives packages had brought the special commission on Friday on the track of the man, it said in the message.
Large number of investigators
On Tuesday, a mail item detonated in the goods receiving department of the beverage manufacturer Wild in Eppelheim (Rhein-Neckar district). An employee was injured by the deflagration. On Wednesday there was an explosion with three injured when opening a letter at Lidl headquarters in Neckarsulm (Heilbronn district). An explosive package addressed to the baby food manufacturer Hipp could be intercepted and defused in a mail distribution center at Munich airport.
Around 100 officers from the State Criminal Police Office and the Heilbronn, Mannheim and Ulm police headquarters followed up on the series of attacks in the past few days – with success. (dpa / mgb / mcf)