Military in Myanmar is increasingly resorting to violence


On Saturday at least two people were killed in the second largest city of Mandalay when the security forces shot. Another man died that night in Yangon’s largest city. UN General Secretary Antnio Guterres condemned the violence, which despite the fact that thousands of people took to the streets across the country on Sunday.

Security forces in Mandalay fired live ammunition on Saturday at protesters who had gathered for a rally at a shipyard. At least 30 people were injured. According to the rescue workers, one of the fatalities was a young person who was shot in the head.

Hundreds of police officers and soldiers were deployed at the Yadanarbon shipyard in Mandalay. Protesters yelled at the police to get out.  The  security forces then fired live ammunition. ©

 The y also used rubber bullets and slingshots to disperse the protesters. ©

 The y in turn threw stones to prevent arrests.

Guterres condemned the use of “lethal force” against the crowd in Mandalay. “©

 The  use of lethal violence, intimidation and harassment against peaceful protesters is unacceptable,” he wrote on Twitter. On behalf of the EU, its foreign affairs officer, Josep Borrell, called for an immediate end to the “violence against civilians demonstrating peacefully”. At a meeting of EU foreign ministers on Monday, the current developments should be discussed and “appropriate decisions” made, he announced on Twitter.


 The  state media in Myanmar did not address the dead. “Some” protesters were injured by security forces, the newspaper “Global New Light of Myanmar” only reported. In a separate incident on Saturday, a 30-year-old man was killed while patrolling the neighborhood in Yangon as part of an initiative aimed at preventing the nightly arrests of activists. His sister-in-law said he was shot by the police. According to the security forces, 20 people attacked a vehicle while officers tried to rush an injured man to the hospital. ©

 The y fired warning shots to drive the group apart.

As dusk fell in downtown Yangon, Monywa and Myitkyina, chants and prayers rang out to commemorate the protesters killed. Thousands of Mya Thwate Thwate Khaing, who died on Friday, paid their last respects in the capital Naypyidaw. Doctors had fought for ten days for the life of the 20-year-old, who was hit by a bullet in the head during protests.

At a ceremony, cars and mopeds drove after the young woman’s coffin, which was laid out on a cart. People held pictures of the dead in the air and showed the three-fingered greeting that has become a symbol of the protest against the military junta.


 The re has been an uproar in the Southeast Asian country since the previous de facto head of government Aung San Suu Kyi was ousted in a military coup on February 1. Hundreds of thousands of people have taken part in street protests since then, and several hundred people have been arrested. ©

 The  security forces hardly used live ammunition until Saturday.

Large parts of the population are still shaped by the times of the earlier military rule, which has lasted for almost 50 years since the country became independent in 1948. Nevertheless, the calls for civil disobedience are currently not ending, and people from all walks of life are taking part in the protests.



info With a click on the icon you add the keyword to your topics.


With a click on the icon you open your “my topics” page. © The y have of 15 keywords saved and would have to remove keywords.


info With a click on the icon you remove the keyword from your topics.


Add the topic to your topics.

[ source link ];art391,3355412

Military Myanmar increasingly resorting violence


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here