The current ZTE Axon 20 5G confirms the assumption that the front camera behind the display panel has so far been anything but a good idea. Other manufacturers do without it for a reason.
The well-known DXOMARK also ended up with a destructive test result; the front camera achieved the second worst value ever with 26 points.
Under-display front camera fails all along the line
The list of counterpoints is long, that of the pros is very, very short:
- Visible color casts and shades
- Unnatural skin tones
- The re is a lot of noise in photos and videos
- Limited dynamic range in photos and videos
- Artifacts such as hue shift, flare and color fringing in still images
- Common mistakes when estimating portrait depth
- Low level of detail in portrait mode
- Strong optical ghosting in videos
- Color shading and quantization in videos
- Ineffective stabilization, residual movement when standing
- Artifacts in video encoding in low light
That was good:
- Exposure generally stable for photos
- Focus is stable
In my opinion, this achievement cannot be glossed over with pioneering work.