The Biden administration signals that it is ready to allow the pipeline to be completed with disastrous consequences for American national security and for the energy security of our European allies,” Senator Ted Cruz said in a statement on Saturday.
Cruz criticized a State Department report to Congress that identified companies that could face sanctions for their involvement in pipeline construction. According to Cruz, his colleague Jim Risch and MP Michael McCaul, the new US administration refrained from announcing sanctions against additional companies involved in the construction in the report.
The report was not made public.
Previous measures “completely inadequate”
According to the report, the Biden government only sanctions the Russian laying ship “Fortuna” and the owner KVT-RUS announced – both have already been punished by the previous government of Donald Trump.
The Foreign Ministry is expected to be briefed to discuss when the Biden administration plans to take further action against other Russian companies.
The United States are attacking the project because they fear that their partners in Europe are too dependent on Russia. At the end of 2019, construction work on the pipeline was stopped shortly before completion after the US had enacted an initial sanctions law (Peesa) against the special ships that laid the pipes. Immediately before leaving office, Trump’s government imposed the first sanctions on the Russian company KV in JanuaryT-COUNTRY and the laying ship “Fortuna”.
Laying vessel “Fortuna”: Has been declared a “blocked property” by the USA. (Source: Oliver Denzer / Reuters)
State Department spokesman Ned Price said Friday that the government had already made it clear that it considered Nord Stream 2 a “bad deal” and that companies risked sanctions if they were involved. Biden will consult with the European partners on this.