It remains to be seen whether other manufacturers will now follow Samsung’s example and provide their own devices with corresponding updates for longer. So far, Oneplus as well as Nokia, Google and HMD have delivered security updates for their own products within a period of up to three years. With a large number of users using smartphones and tablets for many years, Samsung’s new update policy could have a negative impact on competitor sales.
In December, Google and Qualcomm announced that they would allow Android updates for a period of four years. Thus, the manufacturers would definitely be able to support their own devices longer. Apple typically provides updates to its devices for five years.
The future will tell whether one will also increase this in order to maintain the current distance.
By extending the software updates, however, the useful life could also be further extended. As a rule, a large number of smartphone owners only access a new device due to the lack of security updates.
The following devices will be supplied longer by Samsung in the future:
Galaxy Foldable Models:
- Galaxy Fold, Fold 5G, Z Fold2, Z Fold2 5G, Z Flip, Z Flip 5G
- Galaxy S10, S10 Plus, S10e, S10 5G, S10 Lite, S20, S20 5G, S20+, S20+ 5G, S20 Ultra, S20 Ultra 5G, S20 FE, S20 FE 5G, S21 5G, S21Plus 5G, S21 Ultra 5G
- Galaxy Note 10, Note 10 5G, Note 10 Plus, Note10 Plus 5G, Note 10 Lite, Note 20, Note 20 5G, Note 20 Ultra, Note 20 Ultra 5G
- Galaxy A10, A10e, A10s, A20, A20s, A30, A30s, A40, A50, A50s, A60, A70, A70s, A80, A90 5G, A11, A21, A21s, A31, A41, A51, A51 5G, A71, A71 5G, A02s, A12, A32 5G, A42 5G
- Galaxy M10s, M20, M30, M30s, M40, M11, M12, M21, M31, M31s, M51
Galaxy XCover Series:
- Galaxy XCover 4s, XCover FieldPro, XCover Pro
- Galaxy Tab Active Pro, Tab Active3, Tab A 8 (2019), Tab A with S Pen, Tab A 8.4 (2020), Tab A7, Tab S5e, Tab S6, Tab S6 5G, Tab S6 Lite, Tab S7, Tab S7 Plus