After the longer Android updates that have been promised for three Android generations, Samsung is now making a promise to provide security updates for at least four years. The updates are to be offered monthly or quarterly for smartphones and tablets from the Galaxy Fold, S, A, M, XCover and Galaxy Tab series.
Since the announcement of One UI 3.0 in August of last year, Samsung has given an update commitment for Android smartphones and tablets for at least three Android generations. Smartphones shipped with Android 11, such as the Galaxy S21 Ultra (test), will receive updates to Android 12, 13 and 14 in the future.
Updates come quarterly at the latest
For the Android security updates distributed monthly by Google separately from the main Android version, Samsung has now made a further commitment: For at least four years after the market launch, Samsung plans to use smartphones and tablets in the Galaxy Fold, Galaxy S, Galaxy A, Galaxy M, Galaxy XCover and Galaxy Tab offer monthly and quarterly security updates. Samsung even surpasses Google itself, which guarantees monthly security updates for Pixel smartphones for three years. Which devices at Samsung should be supplied monthly and which quarterly can be found on Samsung’s support page for Mobile Security, which also explains the security gaps. Overall, the following devices fall under the regulation.
- Galaxy Fold: Fold, Fold 5G, Z Fold 2, Z Fold 2 5G, Z Flip, Z Flip 5G
- Galaxy S: S10, S10+, S10e, S10 5G, S10 Lite, S20, S20 5G, S20+, S20+ 5G, S20 Ultra, S20 Ultra 5G, S20 FE, S20 FE 5G, S21 5G, S21+ 5G, S21 Ultra 5G
- Galaxy Note: Note 10, Note 10 5G, Note 10+, Note 10+ 5G, Note 10 Lite, Note 20, Note 20 5G, Note 20 Ultra, Note 20 Ultra 5G
- Galaxy A: A10, A10e, A10s, A20, A20s, A30, A30s, A40, A50, A50s, A60, A70, A70s, A80, A90 5G, A11, A21, A21s, A31, A41, A51, A51 5G, A71, A71 5G, A02s, A12, A32 5G, A42 5G
- Galaxy M: M10s, M20, M30, M30s, M40, M11, M12, M21, M31, M31s, M51
- Galaxy XCover: XCover 4s, XCover Field Pro, XCover Pro
- Galaxy Tab: Tab Active Pro, Tab Active 3, Tab A8 (2019), Tab A with S Pen, Tab A 8.4 (2020), Tab A7, Tab S5e, Tab S6, Tab S6 5G, Tab S6 Lite, Tab S7, Tab S7+
In the fine print, Samsung notes that the availability of security updates may vary from device to device and market. As with the Android updates, the security updates should therefore not be offered in all countries and for all devices at the same time. Samsung also reserves the right to make changes to the device list and will review it periodically.