Before the last preliminary round of the U21 European Championship, Germany, the Netherlands and Romania still have a chance of winning the quarter-finals in Group A. While one point is enough for the DFB-Elf, the Netherlands must definitely win against Hungary, which has already been eliminated. Even for the German selection, an exit is still possible in the event of a defeat.
If Germany makes it to the quarter-finals, a team from Group C will be waiting there on May 31st. Denmark is currently leading the table ahead of France and Russia. As group winners, Germany would play their quarter-finals in Budapest and the semi-finals in Szekesfehervar, and if they came second, both games would be in Szekesfehervar. The final will take place on June 6th in Ljubljana, Slovenia. An overview of the possible constellations before the German group showdown against Romania on Tuesday (6 p.m. /ProSieben):
– If you beat Romania.
– Anytime a draw against Romania if the Netherlands don’t win against Hungary.
– In a 1-1 draw against Romania, if the Netherlands win against Hungary by a maximum of two goals difference.
– In a draw against Romania with at least two goals of their own.
– In a goalless draw against Romania, if the Netherlands win against Hungary.
– In a 1-1 draw against Romania, if the Netherlands win against Hungary by three goals difference and at least four goals of their own.
– In a 1-1 draw against Romania, if the Netherlands win against Hungary by four or more goals difference.
– In the event of a loss to Romania, if the Netherlands do not win against Hungary.
A special case occurs when Germany and Romania split 1: 1 and the Netherlands win 3: 0 against Hungary at the same time. Then Germany and the Netherlands would be further because of the better result against the Hungarians. Who will be first and second in the group would then have to be determined on the basis of the fewer yellow and red cards received. Here Germany is with two yellow cards before the last matchday in front of the Netherlands (four). If both teams are tied here too, the UEFA U21 coefficient ranking counts. In the event of a defeat against Romania and a victory for the Dutch, the DFB team would be out after the preliminary round.
[ source link ]
scenarios special case Germany quarterfinals U21 European Championship