After days of efforts to uncover the container ship in the Suez Canal, workers are preparing for a possible partial unloading of the “Ever Given”. Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi has ordered the appropriate preparations, said Admiral Usama Rabi, chairman of the channel authority, the TV channel Extra News.
The pressure on those responsible at the Suez Canal is increasing because there are now more than 300 ships waiting to pass and the economic damage continues to grow (read more here). According to the service provider Inchcape Shipping Services, the ship could so far be moved 29 meters using tugs.
The work to uncover the 400-meter-long ship, which has been blocking the Suez Canal since Tuesday, continued (read more about the technical details of the salvage here). Two more smugglers, registered in the Netherlands and Italy, were expected to provide support on Sunday.
This was announced by the company Bernhard Schulte Shipmanagement (BSM), which is responsible for the technical management of the “Ever Given”. The rudder of the container ship has therefore already been freed.
Human error cannot be ruled out
The ship of a Japanese owner, about the size of the Empire State Building in New York, was on its way to Rotterdam when it ran aground while crossing the canal with two pilots on board. According to initial investigations, the cause was “strong wind,” said BSM.
Admiral Rabi ruled out on Saturday, however, that the wind and the sandstorm alone would cause the accident. “Human error” cannot be ruled out either.
The 25 crew members, all from India, are doing well and still on board. So far there is no information about possible damage to the cargo or pollution of the water.
Due to the blockade that lasted for days, Egypt is losing important income. In 2020, the Canal Authority earned around $ 5.6 billion from the transit of 18,800 ships.
[ source link ]
Suez Canal Egypt prepares partial unloading container ship