Big mail for Sebastian Vettel after qualifying for the Bahrain Grand Prix: the Aston Martin driver is accused of a yellow flag offense. That could mean last place on the grid.
On Saturday evening, the racing police officers Tim Mayer (USA), Richard Norbury (Great Britain), Emanuele Pirro (Italy) and Mazen Al-Hilli (Bahrain) gave the all-clear: all drivers had decelerated significantly at the critical point with the Sainz-Ferrari, so none Cause for punishment.
With that, everyone was convinced, the flag affair had gone up in smoke. But that was not the case: because later came a lot of mail from the race stewards. Sebastian Vettel is asked to explain himself to them. There were yellow flags not only at Sainz, but also previously because of Haas driver Nikita Mazepin, who had spun in the first corner. The Muscovite had overtaken Sebastian Vettel in the warm-up lap, both went on a fast lap. Vettel’s attempt to get out of Quali 1 failed because of Mazepin’s spin and then because of the yellow flag for Sainz.
The starting position before the hearing: Aston Martin and Vettel must be able to prove that the four-time champion slowed down appropriately at the first corner of a double waved yellow flag.
If the 53-time GP winner has not done that, the race stewards’ quartet will have no choice but to move Vettel from 18th to last place on the grid.
01. Max Verstappen (NL), Red Bull Racing RB16B-Honda, 1:28,997
02. Lewis Hamilton (GB), Mercedes W12, 1:29,385
03. Valtteri Bottas (FIN), Mercedes W12, 1: 29,586
04. Charles Leclerc (MC), Ferrari SF21, 1: 29.678
05. Pierre Gasly (F), AlphaTauri AT02-Honda,1:29,809
06. Daniel Ricciardo (AUS), McLaren MCL35M-Mercedes, 1: 29,927
07. Lando Norris (GB), McLaren MCL35M-Mercedes, 1: 29,974
08. Carlos Sainz (E), Ferrari SF21,1:30,215
09. Fernando Alonso (E), Alpine A521-Renault, 1.30,249
10. Lance Stroll (CDN), Aston Martin AMR21-Mercedes, 1:30,601
11. Sergio Pérez (MEX), Red Bull Racing RB16B-Honda, 1:30,659
12. Antonio Giovinazzi (I), Alfa Romeo C41-Ferrari, 1: 30.708
13. Yuki Tsotaka (J), AlphaTauri AT02-Honda, 1: 31,203
14. Kimi Räikkönen (FIN), Alfa Romeo C41-Ferrari, 1: 31,238
15. George Russell (GB), Williams FW43B-Mercedes, 1:33,430
16. Esteban Ocon (F), Alpine A521-Renault, 1:31,724
17. Nicholas Latifi (CDN), Williams FW43B-Mercedes, 1:31,926
18. Sebastian Vettel (D), Aston Martin AMR21-Mercedes, 1:32,056
19. Mick Schumacher (D), Haas VF-21-Ferrari, 1:32,449
20. Nikita Mazepin (RUS), Haas VF-21-Ferrari, 1:33,273