Hundreds of people have been killed in protests against the military coup in Myanmar since February. Soldiers themselves shoot children in the safety of their home.
In Myanmar, the police and military have been responding to resistance to the military coup in February with massive violence for weeks. At least 275 people have been killed and at least 2,800 temporarily arrested since the coup, the AAPP estimates.
On Tuesday at least five people were shot in Mandalay in the north of the country, said a resident of the German press agency. Seven-year-old Khin Myo Chit is among the dead. Soldiers shot the child when they searched the family home in the Chanmyathazi district for weapons and anti-coup opponents. “They kicked in the door,” says Khin Myo Chit’s sister.
“They asked my father if there was anyone else in the house. When he said no, they accused him of lying and began to search the house. ” At that moment, Khin Myo Chit ran to the father to be with him. “They shot her.” The girl died half an hour later on the way to the hospital. His last words were: “I can’t, father, it’s too painful,” writes the BBC.
“Another way to fight the military”
A 15-year-old boy was shot in the head in his home in Mandalay the day before. He died too. According to the human rights group Save the Children, at least 20 children are among the dead in Myanmar.
The military junta in Myanmar regretted the deaths of the demonstrators, but at the same time accused them of bringing anarchy and violence to the country. However, there are plenty of eyewitness reports that security forces shot demonstrators with live ammunition and beat up or shot people during arbitrary house searches.
On Wednesday, numerous people in former Burma responded with a “silent strike” to the violence and attempts by the junta to get the economy going again. The daily mass protests were suspended, most of the shops remained closed, and the streets were largely empty even in the largest city of Yangon (formerly: Rangoon). “It’s another way of fighting the military,” said Lin Aung from Tamwe. “I have a garage, but it’s closed today.”
The military releases 600 students
On the same day, the regime released more than 600 arrested demonstrators, the state television announced. The news portals “Myanmar Now” and “Eleven Myanmar” reported that the majority of these were students who had previously been held in police stations and prisons. A reason for the move was initially not known.
The released students took part in the protests against the military coup in early February. The photos showed how they sat in buses and were celebrated by people on the roadside. A journalist for the American news agency AP who was arrested last month is also free again. Thein Zaw informed his employers of his release by phone after a second court hearing, AP said.
The UN Human Rights Council in Geneva passed a resolution calling for all who have committed human rights abuses in Myanmar to be held accountable. The Human Rights Council is already collecting evidence and testimony, said Nicholas Koumjian, who was entrusted in 2018 with collecting material for legal proceedings related to previous allegations. “Since the army took power in February, we have been collecting evidence to analyze whether crimes against humanity have been committed,” he said.
In New York, the UN expressed “deep concern about the continuing violence against children” and called for the lives of young people to be protected. According to estimates by the children’s aid organization Unicef, at least 23 children have been killed and eleven more seriously injured since the coup.
(gux / DPA)