The Vorarlberg International Art Prize, which is awarded every two years, goes to Liechtenstein for the first time in 2021. The international expert jury voted unanimously in favor of awarding the 10,000 euro prize to the artist and illustrator Anna Hilti from Schaan (FL).
With the International Art Prize of the State of Vorarlberg, artistic creation in the Lake Constance region and the neighboring countries of Vorarlberg is promoted. The prize, endowed with 10,000 euros, is awarded in the visual arts, including artistic architecture.
“We want to strengthen the network in the region and also direct our gaze beyond the national borders. I am particularly pleased that this year, for the first time, we are able to award an award to an artist from the Principality of Liechtenstein, ”said cultural advisor and state governor Barbara Schöbi-Fink (ÖVP).
Photo gallery with 5 pictures
Drawing, installation, performance
Anna Hilti’s artistic work is characterized by its diversity. The repertoire of the Liechtenstein native, who was born in 1980, includes drawings, illustrations, installations and performances. Her interest in cooperative and participatory processes is reflected in her membership in the three-person artist collective “Salon Liz” and the co-organization of the “Cine-Club Perla” in Zurich.
From trash to fashion
“In numerous projects with constantly changing participants, she realizes instant events that are characterized by an open structure for creative processes and the involvement of the audience. The spectrum ranges from trash to fanzines and other forms of publication to thematically structured alternative fashion activities ”, said Friedemann Malsch, member of the jury and director of the Liechtenstein Art Museum.
In in-depth research projects, Anna Hilti deals, among other things, with the history of Liechtenstein’s emigrants. The resulting extensive sequences of drawings and installations are based on the artist’s interest in biographical and interpersonal communication.
Biography of Anna Hilti
- Born in Liechtenstein in 1980
- Studied at the Lucerne School of Art (illustration), studied design at the Willem de Kooning Academy in Rotterdam, master’s degree “Art in Context” at the University of the Arts in Berlin
- Member of the artist collective Salon Liz
- International exhibition activity
- Prizes and scholarships (selection): Prix Mobilière 2014, IBK Förderpreis 2010, cultural foundation year 2015/16, most beautiful book in Liechtenstein 2020, scholarships abroad, among others in Paris and Amsterdam
- Lecturer at the University of Liechtenstein and the Liechtenstein Art School
- Lives and works in Schaan / Liechtenstein and Zurich
International expert jury
The international art prize of the state of Vorarlberg is awarded by an equally international jury. The following were unanimously in favor of awarding this year’s award to Anna Hilti:
- Carina Jielg, ORF Vorarlberg
- Ulrike Shepherd, Zeppelinuniversität Friedrichshafen
- Ursula Badrutt-Schoch, Office for Culture, St. Gallen
- Friedemann Malsch, Liechtenstein Art Museum, Vaduz
- Maria Simma-Keller, Professional Association of Visual Artists Vorarlberg
- Winfried Nußbaummüller, Culture Department, State of Vorarlberg
The award ceremony will take place on October 4, 2021 in the Landhaus in Bregenz.