UN: Myanmar’s military responsible for “mass murder” – Politics –

0
0



Pictures of the mass protests in Myanmar from an anonymous source
© APA (AFP / FACEBOOK / ANONYMOUS SOURCE)

The UN Special Envoy for Human Rights in Myanmar, Tom Andrews, has accused the country’s military of “mass murder” of its own people. Andrews responded to reports on Sunday night that more than 100 people had been killed in demonstrations against the military on Saturday. Security forces are said to have used live ammunition and targeted headshots against unarmed civilians, children and medical personnel.

It is time for the world to intervene – if not through the Security Council, then through an international summit on Myanmar, said Andrews. One could stop the oil and gas payments and thus the financial flows to the military in the country or stop the military’s access to weapons. Condemned or concerned statements are of little consolation for the people in Myanmar against whom the military is committing mass murder. Words were not enough, it was high time for robust and coordinated action.

The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Michelle Bachelet, and the UN Advisor on Genocide Prevention, Alice Wairimu Nderitu, condemned the events in the strongest terms. Those responsible for the systematic attacks against peaceful demonstrators must be held accountable, they demanded on Sunday.

“Saturday was the bloodiest day since the demonstrations against the coup began,” they said. According to credible reports, seven of the at least 107 dead were minors. Hundreds were injured and arrested. “The international community has a duty to protect the people of Myanmar from such cruel crimes.” If a state fails, the international community must step in. The US Secretary of State Antony Blinken spoke on Twitter of a “reign of terror” by the military.

According to the news portal “Myanmar Now”, 114 people were killed in 44 cities on Saturday. Images are shared on social media that the security forces continue to crack down on resistance in the population. According to media reports, police officers and soldiers are said to have shot at the mourners present at a funeral of a killed student in southern Bago.

In the commercial metropolis of Yangon, the military is said to have shot at residential buildings in districts in which protests repeatedly occur. “People are now afraid to go out and some are injured,” said a 24-year-old resident of the German press agency.

The military had put a coup against the de facto head of government Aung San Suu Kyi at the beginning of February. The 75-year-old has been under house arrest since then and has been accused of various offenses by the judiciary. The protesters are calling for the restoration of Suu Kyi’s civilian government.

Western countries have strongly condemned the actions of the military in Myanmar. But the military still has supporters in Russia and China, veto powers in the UN Security Council. Diplomatic representatives from eight countries, Russia, China, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Laos and Thailand attended a military parade in the capital Naypyidaw on Saturday.





[ source link ]
https://www.vol.at/uno-myanmars-militaer-verantwortlich-fuer-massenmord/6941320

Myanmars military responsible mass murder Politics

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here